Reports to: Director of Children’s Ministry
Position Mission: To share the love and work of Jesus Christ with children, preschool through fourth grade, and their families through a variety of Vacation Bible School experiences.
- Develop and communicate, in consultation with the Director of Children’s Ministry, the Associate Pastor in Charge of Family Ministry and the Senior Pastor, a vision for Vacation Bible School that will provide children with a solid Christian foundation of worship, fellowship, discipleship, mission and ministry.
- Communicate with the Director of Children’s Ministry, the Associate Pastor in Charge of Family Ministry, the Director of Middle School Ministry, the Director of High School Ministry and the Family Ministry Administrative Assistant on a regular basis.
- Recruit, train, organize, nurture and encourage laypersons who love Jesus Christ and who desire to serve the Lord by using their spiritual gifts to lead, teach, mentor, assist and help children and their families.
- Provide pastoral care for children and their families, as needed.
- Develop and manage the Vacation Bible School budget, in consultation with the Director of Children’s Ministry, the Associate Pastor in Charge of Family Ministry, and the Finance Ministry Team.
- Nurture and grow your own relationship with Jesus through personal devotions, Bible study, fellowship and service.
- Stay “current” with the needs and “culture” of children in the local community and nationally.
- Enhance and gain skills relevant to your position.
- Perform the following activities to prepare for, execute and wrap-up each year’s Vacation Bible School:
- Determine the date and theme for the VBS program
- Recruit a leadership team and set a meeting schedule to organize the program’s events
- Recruit, train and empower volunteers for key positions
- Attend meetings as needed to plan and execute VBS
- Recruit and supervise sign-up of youth and adult volunteers
- Supervise registration of VBS participants
- Make sure all volunteers have the necessary VBS information and are aware of their VBS responsibilities
- Be prepared to troubleshoot and deal with problems as they arise;
- Keep all stages of planning, execution and wrap-up of VBS on schedule;
- Promote VBS within Trinity and in the community;
- Plan and execute volunteer training sessions for adults and youth (5th – 12th grades) as necessary
- Locate, gather and assemble necessary material (bought items or donated items)
- Supervise decorating/set-up and clean-up activities for VBS
- Make sure the environment for VBS is as safe as possible
- Keep track of allergies and/or health issues of attendees and volunteers (especially youth volunteers)
- Make sure parents and/or guardians are aware of Photo Release regulations
- Make sure all volunteers meet, understand and sign Trinity’s Safe Sanctuaries policy
- During VBS week, oversee all of the activities and assist with discipline and first aid occurrences
- Prepare and file those reports that may be required at the conclusion of VBS.
- After VBS is completed, lead a VBS debrief meeting where ideas/suggestion can be shared for tweaking/improvement of next year’s VBS.
Working Conditions: One goal of the Trinity United Methodist Church is to model fair and friendly employment practices. The Director of Vacation Bible School will be part of a team of clergy and staff who will work together with laity to meet the needs of the congregation and community. Due to the nature of VBS, the working hours of this position will vary dramatically from week to week and season to season. However, on average, this position could consume between 200 and 250 hours per year. Children’s ministry normally require some evening work in order to meet with children and their parents as well as VBS volunteers. It is understood that these meetings should not consume more than three evenings in any given week.
Salary available upon request.
[button style=”medium” type=”rounded” color=”#COLOR_CODE” background=”#COLOR_CODE” src=”http://www.catchthespirit.org/wp-content/uploads/Application-for-Vacation-Bible-School-Director.pdf” target=”_blank”]Download Application[/button]